Saturday 5 September 2015

Getting it together!

Wow! I have had the busiest peak season! However I have managed to use some of the tools that I have read about in the leadership literature that I have acquired. A common theme I have found from the leadership books that I have read is that it is important as a 'good' leader to be able to empathise with your team and to also be able to differentiate between each person. I know now for example that each of my team members are motivated in different ways, some I can push harder than others and some are better at learning a routine and then having time away to practice on their own. It has been really interesting using the skills I have read about during my daily practice. 

My inquiry has got me thinking about the skills I have and the skills I need to work on, I know now that I take comments my team make very personally and their attitude towards myself can be quite hostile depending on how they are feeling that day and if they are having a good rehearsal or not. I spoke to the company choreographer about this situation and she told me that the person in charge will most likely be the one to recieve 'attitude' if a team member is having a bad day, therefore it is a good idea to quickly recognise when a someone is having an 'off' day and speak to them before rehearsals, however if you do not get the chance to speak to that person before you rehearse, it is then best to 'leave them to their own devices' and then speak with them after rehearsal. 

Whilst working on my inquiry I have been looking at the skills required to be a head dancer. My question to everyone out there is Do you have to be a great dancer to be a great head dancer? I have listed the skills required for both below:

Dancer skills:

Strong Core
Performance skills
Good elevation
Rhythm
Technique
Good at picking up choreography
Passion
Ability to interpret what the choreographer wants
Good memory 

Head Dancer Skills:

Clear communication skills
Rhythm
Ability to interpret what the choreographer wants 
Ability to motivate
Good memory Ability to criticize in a constructive way 

There are many skills required in both fields, however some skills overlap like rhythm and the ability to interpret what the choreographer wants, therefore although some may say you do not need to be a great dancer to be a great head dancer there are some skills required for both. 

This is something I am going to investigate further. Please let me know your thoughts! 


No comments:

Post a Comment