Wednesday 7 January 2015

Task 5c

After reading and rereading about ethics I have come to realise that it is a much broader subject than I first thought. Within employment ethics there are lots of laws which help to keep employees safe and happy in the workplace, however the grey area is evident when personal and professional ethics cross paths.

My own personal ethics stem from a christian background, however many instances and people that I have been around also contributed to my own personal ethical standards. Although I have strong personal ethics the professional virtues required of me do sometimes question my own personal morals. At times I have felt personally attacked for standing up for what I think is right. A big problem at my place of work was being able to take holiday that was entitled to us, as simple as it may seem to book holiday off work it was alot harder within the work environment I was in, as we were working in a small team and had to provide entertainment for all guests on park. This is something my manager should address and should discuss with personnel who are on the HR team. 

Something I found quite interesting in reader 5 was Case Study 3: The Dance Class, I made notes on what I thought about each situation. In the case of Flint the teacher who visibly upset a student and said in response 'I am only preparing her for the real world', this is a prime example of Deontology, where his motive was actually for the young girls personal gain. We all know the dance world is a tough one so is there any harm in preparing children for this? Or are they just in class for fun and for a hobby? There are so many questions and 'grey' areas related to ethics that it is hard to pinpoint what is right and what is wrong. Many criticize the way dance teachers practice their students. A favourite program of mine is Dance Moms, it is a reality tv program that follows the lives of Abby Lee Miller's dance students, there are many morality questions asked by the mothers that question Abby Lee's teaching, here is a clip. 

http://youtu.be/6v6BoXcBkTk 

My inquiry and ethical considerations 

I am now very aware that my own inquiry needs to protect those that I am researching, working with and also the research community. 

Who stands to benefit from my inquiry: All dancers that have graduated from college and are seeking work within the entertainment buisness. 

My participants will be between 18-35yrs old, experience in different aspects of dance, mainly leisure entertainment. 

It will be people that I know, trust and either work with or have worked with. 

The participants are chosen due to their experience in this field of work.

I will contact them via email, phone and face to face.

All participants have various ways of being able to contact me if they have any queries or questions. 

I will be storing my participants data on my laptap which has various passwords and is very safe, I also have a back up on my hard drive which again has a passcode to access it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment