Wednesday 14 January 2015

Task 6a

Before getting started with reader 6 I felt quite overwhelmed with information, I wasn't sure if my ideas for an inquiry were heading in the right direction, I didn't know how to get started or where I was getting my information from. However, complete clarity washed over me as I read through the various tools that help to create social science research. 

I have that my inquiry research will mostly be made up of interviews and possibly questionnaires depending on the information I obtain from my interviews. As I have decided to research the different transitions in dance I felt that I would need a large age range to cover a dancers life span. 

When putting together an interview I needed to think about what I wanted to gain from this inquiry. As a dancer a big fear of mine is 'what will my next job be?' and 'How can I prepare myself for unemployment once this contract ends?', with these in mind my initial idea for my inquiry is this: 

'Exploring the transitions within a female dancers career and how well equipped dancers are to cope with those mental, physical and emotional changes.' 

In order to keep my data ethically acceptable I have named each person a different letter A,B,C etc. This is my pilot interview.

Person A trained at Bird College London and has performed as a dancer for 11 years, she is now a very successful pilates instructor.

Discuss the article below 

www.dance-london.com/10-setbacks-dancers-face-deal/)

Which parts of this article relate to you and do you feel they relate to dancers nowadays?

I was never told I would never make it during my training or by my family etc, but ofcorse I experienced a lot of rejection in auditions which could be taken as 'you'll never make it'. You take it personally when you really shouldnt, however you are at a young age and you are very impressionable. You don't have the wisdom of years in the industry at that point. It does affect your self belief. And obviously you are rejected from more jobs than you actually get. But you learn that alot of the time it is based on asthetics, for example, will you fit that costume?.

And ofcorse dancers get paid the least and yet they work the hardest, its still the same now. I also think as dancers we are very bad at asking for money, because we know that theres plenty of girls ready to take our spot who will work for less if not for nothing. I think equity as a union is quite weak for dancers, and their wage rights. 

Dancers are unique in that you train and you still go to class whereas most jobs you don't have to keep training every day, and still we are the least valued. 

My dream job, I was never structually right for because of my limb length, and it was so hard because it was my goal and my dream and I felt like I wasnt successful if I didn't achieve that. But then I recieved a letter from the choreographer of that show thanking me for auditioning on so many occasions and that they were sorry I wasn't right for the part which was truly overwhelming. You do almost feel like you didn't make it, which isn't a good for your mental health. 

Even when you are in a job, because the pay is so appalling you still struggle to get by. However life was cheaper in my day. 

I still constantly compare myself to others. It's something that is instilled in you from your teachers as they compare you to others. As well as your own personal self criticism. Again this is where low self esteem and self confidence issues can manifest. Because it is ingrained in you from an early age it doesn't leave you. You always want to be the best. It is a good thing as you always put 100% in but you do however beat yourself up because you have that desire to be perfect. We can only be as perfect as our bodies will allow us to be. That need to achieve will help you in any job, so transitioning away from dance becomes easier as there are so many jobs that need someone who is dedicated and disciplined. The negatives are that you never give yourself a break. 

Proving that dance is a real profession is just as relevant now as it was in the mid eighties when I used to get that. My mum was really supportive but it was other people who questioned whether I had a 'real' job. Unfortunately in schools as well, the career advisers are not well informed about the arts, they don't see dance as a job they only see it as a hobby. 
They had zero idea about how to help me pursue dance. 

I retired nearly 20 years ago and yet I still say I am a dancer because that is my soul and who I am. When I retired it was difficult to disassociate myself from the dance world, in the end I had to remove myself from everyone and everything dance related. 

Did you experience any emotional or physical problems throughout your career? If so how did you cope with them? 

Yes, I had physical issues with my knees, I had been dancing for nearly ten years at that point, and I sort of ignored the pain. I did start to feel change was needed anyway. Stupidly, I should have gone to see a physio, you feel when your young your body is invincible.

Do you think that has anything to do with the training in this country? 

We didn't get any information on nurturing the body or yourself and it would have been invaluable. Things like nutrition should be covered and injury and prevention of injury etc. 

If I had had them looked at I may have carried on for longer. Retiring after that was dreadful, I immediately moved to a greek island and opened up a restaurant but I had to get away from everything! I discovered a different life being away, you don't have a break being a dancer. I am quite unusual in the way that I completely disassociated myself, most of my peers retired as they wanted to become a mother, or they would go into teaching, or they might go into being an assistant choreographer or go into directing. Some also went into doing what I do working with the body in pilates or yoga. Most of them did that straight after retiring. 

It was hard to move away from dance and in a way you actually grieve the loss of dance, which to the outside world seems silly but it is your whole life and when you have to leave that behind it is emotionally battering. 

Transition resources aren't very well known about here in the UK which is a shame as they provide a huge amount of support.

What support did you recieve in furthering your career as a professional dancer? 

We did have auditon technique classes and they brought in outside choreographers. We had mock auditions in front of our peers and tutors. These were very helpful and beneficial. We had photographers come in for your portfolio. We would then audition for big dance agencies. 

What advice would you give a young dancer who is just making those first steps onto the career ladder? 

I would say do it because for all the insecurities that the profession has, pursue it. Your health and well being is so important, nutritionally and physically. Do things like pilates to prevent injury. Don't take anything personally, you are a product and you will rarely be treated like a person. Try not to compare yourself to others. Focus on your positives. Every time you get praised write it down and log it. 

Did you have a plan in case of injury or unemployment?

No not all. I think if you have a back up plan you are setting yourself up to fail. 

How can a dancer prepare for career longevity? 

I think some of the things we have already mentioned for example health and well being. Get a balanced diet and attend classes like pilates for prevention of injury. Keep up with class. Ensure you are polite and hard working in every job you do so that if you ever come across that person again you don't have any issues with them. A lot of dancers nowadays feel they have a right to get a job without working hard, that is a big mistake, no one deserves anything, you get what you work for. 











5 comments:

  1. Lizzie - this was an informal interview with a friend (still I am sure you sought permission to report words verbatim - you have anonymised) in this module the ethics permission process is useful to planning future interviews - basing this trial around a common article sounded useful - www.dance-london.com/10-setbacks-dancers-face-deal/) - you could use that method in your information sheet and explain some terms and common ground - as long as it does not 'lead' the interviewee

    so will you be using interviews in your final inquiry? how do you think the method went for you?

    So inquiry questions?

    the different transitions in dance I felt that I would need a large age range to cover a dancers life span.

    'Exploring the transitions within a female dancers career and how well equipped dancers are to cope with those mental, physical and emotional changes.'

    have you - quite wide ground - have you found literature to help with focusing this for the inquiry?

    Fione did transition/retirement - blog does not show end - but some sources could be there in her archived blog?

    Get in touch for a tutorial - some of questions could be on other blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Paula,thanks for the feedback I will be in touch soon.

    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Paula,thanks for the feedback I will be in touch soon.

    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lizzie - yes we need to talk about this term and any changes to your planning - session online and on campus tomorrow- and get in touch for a 1-1. Bw

    ReplyDelete