Wednesday 26 March 2014

Reader 2

I really enjoy the idea of reflection in the workplace. Having a parent who is a vicar has taught me a lot about reflecting on past experiences and learning how to deal with personal issues as well as how to reflect back on social situations. My Dad taught me how to reflect back on past situations where I've acted irrationally and see that situation from some one elses point of view, this has always helped me to view certain situations in a different way. 

Being in an industry where securing a job is never certain did cause me alot of unnecessary stress. In my third year of college I developed a lot of anxiety issues, being such a bubbly and outgoing person this change in personality affected not only me but my close friends and ofcorse my family members. Alot of the issues actually came from the negativity being created around me, looking back now I realise that the only way for me to not let the pessimism from other people get to me was to surround myself with positive things and positive people. This experience then helped me to cope with my first job out of college.

Once gaining my first job I began to feel the tell tale signs of my anxiety creeping up on me once again, I also felt the same anxieties from others that were in the same boat as me. However, looking back to the state I got myself in when I was in my third year made me realise that I had to act sooner rather than later so as not to ruin my new job. I began with a lot of phone calls to my close friends back home, they always make me feel positive! I also restarted my relaxation tapes and I kept a journal of how I was feeling each day and what was making me feel that way. It seems like a lot just to keep myself from getting stressed but I honestly believe that I would not have coped as well as I have now if  it wasnt for what happened in my third year and how I overcame those issues then. 

I'm really excited to learn more about the tools and how to apply reflection within my working life. I am now six weeks into my new job and there are certain things that I am struggling with, however keeping a journal everyday has already helped put things into perspective. 

Just wanted to share my enthusiasm for this next part of the course! 

No comments:

Post a Comment