Sunday 13 April 2014

Task 3a Current Networks

What are your current and different ways (tools) that you have, do, engage your professional network?

Currently I use a variety of ways to network:

  • Facebook: Obviously facebook is the main source that I use to network as it has everyone that I went to school, college and work with, they can all see my page and can contact me if they need to. I now put my facebook url onto my CV as I know employers like to use it as a way of determining a someones personality before they employ them. On facebook there is a group called the hustle, it has thousands of dancers, singers, actors, casting directors, agents and performers who post in the group and everyone keeps one another up to date on audition news and what classes are worth going to. People also post accommodation on there so that if you are looking for somewhere to stay in London you can have the option of living with other performers. I have all my portfolio pictures on my facebook as well as my dance reel as I like to get feedback from other performers as well as take every oppurtunity to promote my skills. 
  • Twitter: I don't use twitter to promote what I do as much or get networked with other professionals as its hard to have a private conversation with someone via this site. However it is great for finding out news about auditions, classes and also fitness tips etc (something I am really interested in). 
  • Youtube: I find youtube is perfect for promoting your skills as you can put up various show reels and performances, this is the link to a few of my youtube videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJpcZWlSUgc&feature=share&list=FLSYRk1YmGR-N6mDsH57qqEQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-jx-ad_l6w&feature=share&list=FLSYRk1YmGR-N6mDsH57qqEQ&index=2
  • Previous College: I trained at Bird College and many of my fellow classmates are now working in various sectors in the arts. I feel that keeping in contact with them enables me to network with a wider group of people. For example if one of my college friends introduces me to a teacher who they have been taking class from that is another new person I have networked with, I may attend that teachers class and then they know who I am as I have already been introduced, that teacher may have a choreographer friend who is looking for someone with my physique etc. I believe that meeting and connecting with one person will always lead to meeting and connecting with another therefore building yourself a new network of people.
  • Classes: Taking class is another great way of networking with people, it is hard to interact within a class situation however the more classes you go to the more people will recognize your face and the more likely you are to connect with them. 
What are the established (and different) ways that others use their networks, especially if they are more established or experienced practitioners that you admire?

  • Many established choreographers take workshops at Professional Colleges. Taking these workshops instantly results in the choreographer being more widely known to a group of students. The choreographer may also find dancers that they wish to employ from these colleges. It was something that happened alot at Bird and now several students are working for the choreographers that took our workshops at college. This is also a way for the choreographer to promote a new show that they may be involved with or a new piece that they are creating. 
  • Again facebook is a great way to network with new people. A friend of mine managed to set up his own classes just from posting videos onto facebook and creating a page to promote his class. http://youtu.be/cohFNwvyHOU This was really effective, his class size grew significantly in just a few weeks.
  • Many established artists and performers including many students or new graduates like myself are on www.spotlight.com, which is a site that you have to pay for but can only be on if you have or are an agent. There are thousands of castings on there and it is also a place that casting directors go to take a look at prospective performers. 
Are there methods, approaches and technologies that you use socially that might apply and help you develop your professional networking?

  • I often email my friends if I dont have enough time to talk to them on the phone, its a great way to keep in contact when so far away from home and it means you can attach pictures etc so people can see how you are getting on. I could use this more within my professional networking, I know people have personally emailed a casting director when they are auditioning for new shows. Attaching your head shot , cv and a short note just keeps you in the mind of the casting director if you are auditioning in front of them. Whether they read it or not its better to say that you have made the effort and tried rathar than doing nothing to help yourself stand out.
  • Within my social networking I do like to call my family from time to time, personally I would not call a casting director however I would feel comfortable ringing a teacher that I had met a pineapple or studio 68 and asking their advice on certain issues, some people may see this as nagging or brown nosing people but I think that established professionals have all had to do the same to get where they are and 99% of the time they enjoy handing out their advice.
When you think upon current networks, can you think about the motives of others to be in the network and what values and purposes they have in mind?

Generally I like to think that everyones motives for being within a network that I am associated with is for morally good reasons. However I am not that naive to think that way. For example within my college 'friends' there are people who have quite blatantly 'used' others just for information. We all want to get ahead and sometimes it is the people who step on others that get to where they want to be quicker. Personally, I feel that you can get to where you want to be and still be a genuinely good person. Most people within my college year group help one another out they 'co-operate' with one another rather than 'compete'. To be honest I think that in the performing arts industry it is very hard to work out who is a real friend to you and who is just after information. 

What would your ideal network look like and why?

I think simply for ease of use a facebook group is the best way to connect to a network. You can post questions and advice on there as well as pictures, videos and any other resources you might want to share. Being a performer I would have a select group of dancers, singers and actors that would be invited to the group. I think it would be necessary to have established professionals such as choreographers, teachers and casting directors who can give more experienced advice concerning the industry. 

What realistic things could you do to work towards developing your ideal network? 

To develop my ideal network, I would first need to connect with the people who I'd like to bring together into a community. This would involve attending various classes, meeting new people and keeping in contact with them, adding all the new people I have met on facebook and ensuring I stay fresh in their minds (keep refreshing my news feed, posting various things on their facebook walls). I would also have to ensure that I do not instigate negative gossip about the people I have met as this will encourage them to be wary of me and possibly give them a reason to not connect with me. 

What tools and methods do you need to use? what do you know about your current and intended networks, and importantly, what do you not know? 

Let's start with the networks I am currently involved in, With my college networks I do not know everyones intentions or their purposes for being in a community of class mates. This can be quite a scary thought as you do not know who is genuine and who is out there to work against you. On the positive side there are people that I am close with and I am aware of their intentions.  

In terms of tools and methods, I would be using what I have learnt about Web 2.0 to bring together my network of people as an online community. I would need to lay down a list of guidelines for the users of my group to prevent conflict (e.g. please do not post personal information or opinions of people). I would also need to be well connected with everyone in the group so I know each persons intentions and their role within the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment