Monday 7 April 2014

Task 2b: Reflective writing

I really have enjoyed this task, I always found journal writing quite boring and I never found the right way to express myself, however by keeping a journal in several different ways I feel like I have found the best way for me to reflect upon my day. 

Description and initial reflection: For me, writing a descriptive account of my day was not helpful.By describing everything that happened and the way I felt during the day did not actually provoke much reflection for learning. Reading back over what I had written made me realise that I do not take in a lot of what is going on around me, I seem to just focus on what I am doing and how I'm feeling. I decided to include my intial reflection with my descriptive account as I wanted to make an account of my emotions as events were unfolding. 

List: Listing out the events of my day provoked alot of new thinking. Each event that I had listed then sparked a new thought process about how I was feeling, why I was feeling that way and also how I could have changed that. Over two days I made several lists entitled 

  1. events
  2. thoughts and feelings before/during/after event 
  3. why I was feeling that way
  4. what worked well
  5. How can I be more productive tomorrow 
  6. How will this help me tomorrow 
Evaluation: evaluating my day did help me to see where I went wrong and how I could have changed a situation but also where I thought other people could have made better decisions. I feel like when I was list making I was also evaluating my day but in a different format.

Graphs/Charts/Diagrams: Initially I wasn't sure how to record my day as a graph so I did a little bit of research and read through some of My life in Graphs: a guided journal, Knock Knock  and a few blogs on the internet about keeping a journal of diagrams etc. I found a really interesting document by Valerie Taylor- Haslip, health sciences and she kept diagrams and graphs concerning her students, one entitled 'Comparison of students level of reflection, exam grades and clinical performance. After reading this, I decided to base my graph on comparing how I would go about my day before I started learning about reflection and writing a journal and how I am now. It was quite hard to do as I did not have any facts or figures to put on the graph however it did make me discover that since starting on this course I am far more aware of how people act around me and I also think about how I unconciously intervene in a situation. 

what if? I found this way of journal writing really difficult. I could not decide what I would do if a situation changed. It did test my brain though! It took me ages to think about myself in certain situations like what I would do if someone passed out on stage. I thought about what I would do if the music skipped etc and I found those 'what if' situations really easy to deal with in my head. A great thought provoking way of journal writing! 

Another View: Writing my journal from someone elses point of view was quite tough. I ended up asking my flat mate to help me out and wrote my journal from her eyes. It was suprising how she viewed my day and how she thought I was feeling. This was a really big eye opener for me as I saw myself as others saw me and not how I thought I was being portrayed.

From doing this task I feel that I will carry on writing my journal by mixing lists and evaluation as these seem to be the most beneficial to my learning. 




No comments:

Post a Comment