Monday 22 September 2014

Basic Rules for Good Research

These past couple of days the time I have allocated for my BAPP degree work has mainly consisted of reading through various books on starting a research project. 

In Martyn Denscombe's 'Ground Rules for Good Research', I discovered the relationship between social research and scientific research and how useful scientific tools can be when embarking on a social research project. For example some key tools that I will be using are 

  • Measurement: Once something has been 'measured' it can be analysed and tested
  • Research instruments: What resources do I have and can I use? e.g. internet, libraries etc
  • Precision: Information that is acquired needs to be detailed and precise. 
  • Observation: Acquiring facts and data through meticulous observation
He also talks about controlling variables and factors that may alter a sequence of events, although I can see how this works in science I am not convinced it works with the type of project that we are involved in, although please discuss if you think otherwise. 

I feel more secure in my knowledge of the positivist approach to research and how it uses the science research model to explain the social world. Although I can see that this approach is useful in some ways I like that Martyn Denscombe also explains the negatives of this approach by saying 'A scientific researcher can do things to chemicals and plants that cannot be contemplated with fellow human beings' (M.Denscombe, 2002)

In my personal opinion I feel that the interpretivist ideals are more realistic when studying the way that people behave or social phenomena. 

'Interpretivists tend to focus their attention on the way people make sense of the world and how they create their social world through their actions and interpretations of the world whereas positivism focuses on the way that social reality exists externally to people, acting as a constraining force on values and behaviour, interpretivist approaches stress the way that people shape society' (M.Denscombe 2002)

This makes a lot of sense to me, I started thinking about how as humans when we are told we are being observed or watch we instantly act differently, I'm not sure why this is? If anyone has any ideas please let me know. At work I find my manager has heightened levels of stress when he knows one of the 'big bosses' is coming in, obviously this roots from the fact that he wants to impress them and be praised for doing a good job, however if he didnt know that he was being observed he might work better without the stress or worse without the added pressure. 

Purpose

A running theme within the information I have read about research topics is the idea of Purpose.
When initiating a research project it is ideal to consider who will my topic benefit? Has this topic been investigated before? If so how can I develop that information? At the start of my research project it is essential that what I am trying to achieve is clearly stated. 

Blaxter and Hughes and Tight: How to Research (2001)

After reading chapter 2 'Getting Started', I noted down some key points that will help me to start my inquiry,

  • Find out what is expected from you and from your research: This, I need to discuss with my tutor as well as with other BAPP Arts students, its something I will be doing in this next week and hopefully will have enough information to blog for you all later. There's also information in my Module 2 Handbook about what is needed to succeed in this module (see Module 2 Handbook BAPP Arts, WBS 3630)
  • Consider the size of your topic, ensuring its not too big, not too small but do-able within the time, space and resources available. (Goldilocks Theory)
  • Enough time needs to be given to reflect and analyse the data collected.
  • Support; Blaxter, Hughes and Tight explain that when embarking on a research project it is essential to have support around you, luckily I have a very willing boyfriend who makes a mean cup of coffee and two hugely supportive parents just at the other end of the phone.
  • Access: Do you have access to resources (including people) that can help you? 
My next step is to take some time talking to various people both involved in the performance industry but also who are within other industries, I'm going to put together the information from my first set of pilot questions and analyse those next to the ideas I have myself and from others to start thinking about what I would like to research and what really gets me fired up. I am hoping I am on the right tracks but please do comment below as I value all contact with my fellow BAPPers :D

No comments:

Post a Comment