Thursday 11 September 2014

Interview with company choreographer


Interview with Michelle Upton, Dancer, Live Act and Choreographer for Parkdean Holidays:

Do you believe dancing influenced your personality?
I definitely do, I think dancing as a whole gives you more confidence and you can express yourself more. The reason why I got into dancing was due to having too much energy, so I was taken to the doctors as I was always crying and running all over the place. The doctor actually said that I needed to take up some kind of physical sport, whether it be karate, swimming, dancing or something in that field. I needed something to channel my energy. So I was taken to dance classes, and ever since then I was a much happier child and it gave me something to work towards. Nowadays it has built my confidence and taught me different skills in how to teach people choreography etc.

Discuss the idea ‘Dancers are not made, they are born’, Do you believe dance is a natural instinct that cannot be taught or something that can be nurtured?
I believe real good, outstanding dancers are born. However I do think that you can teach everybody to dance, whether it is just how to hold themselves or keeping in time with the music. However the dancer that is born to dance is the one who has that extra flair. It is more about the passion and feeling that you are born with, that’s something you can’t teach you have to be born with.

Discuss your thoughts on the term ‘A Triple Threat’, can all trades be mastered or are you setting yourself up to be the ‘jack of all trades but the master of none?’
I think to be good at all three things or to at least give them a go is a great thing. You will get a lot further with all three disciplines than with just one. It’s good to have your passion, for example dancing is my passion however within this job I have had to sing and have had to push myself in order to further my career.

In your opinion how easy is it for a performer to begin working in a new medium?
The skills you acquire as a performer e.g. confidence, people skills, being able to interact with people and having a hard working attitude, sets you up in good stead for any job.
What are the key skills required to make the transition from dancer to choreographer?
No formal educational requirements to become a choreographer, there is no certificate that you get to say ‘I am a choreographer’. However most choreographers have been dancers. I am a big believer in the proof is in the pudding, if someone came to audition for me if they were a phenomenal dancer I might not even look at their CV. So it is more about experience and being able to express your ideas through dance and translate that to a group of people. I have always kind of fallen in to it because people liked what I had to offer and I like that what I see in my head I can translate onto the stage, it is very satisfying. A lot of choreography is down to the way that you teach it and how you get it across to your dancers, as well as being creative and having new ideas.

Is finding multiple forms of expression the key to creative fulfilment and career longevity?
For me and the shows that I produce, the more creative ideas and things that I can get help to keep things fresh. I always use different props and styles. I’d like to think within choreography my body will allow me to do it for a few more years. I can’t imagine myself doing another job but with the skills I have got from this job I’d like to think I could go into something like teaching or possibly being an agent etc.

In a performance job that requires multiple skills e.g. holiday park; working with children alongside performing. Quantify the relationship between the skills required for daytime duties compared to the skills required for performance work.

There are a lot of skills that you need for both. For both you need energy, passion, enthusiasm, creative, team work, confidence. When I first started the holiday park experience I didn’t ever see myself enjoying the kids work, I came to perform however I had to do both so I started to see the daytime duties as a ‘show’ so if I gave the same amount of energy to the kids as I do in a show then they will benefit from that. A lot of the skills I think are integrated however with dance you do need the training and the technique. 

No comments:

Post a Comment